Avatar: The Last Airbender Movie
Posted by sunnypad on Jul-5-2010
We went as a family to see this movie today. I was excited – it was our first 3D movie, plus we have been waiting for this movie to come out for awhile. When I found out who was directing and producing the movie, my heart sunk but I still had hopes that I’d like some things in the film. (WHY did they pick that guy to do this movie?! What were they thinking?)
Anyway the 3D previews before the movie were awesome. Like, everything in the entire previews was in 3D. Very cool technology and I understand why we’re moving that direction. However, the 3D effects in The Last Airbender were so minimal, I felt cheated. Only a few effects were really noticeable – those zoom-ins of the fire-nation ships. That’s about it. Everything else was so slight in the 3D technology the effect was inconsequential. That was disappointing.
I’m an optimist and try to see the good in everything. There was good in this movie:
* I liked the boy they picked for Aang, even though I thought he should have been Asian. I also liked Katara…I think they did a good job of picking her. The guy they picked for Sokka was ok, but not great.
* I liked the landscape shots – the air temples, the water villages and ic, the detailing of interiors.
* General Iroh – not a good fit – they should have picked an elderly, stocky Chinese man. However, the actor did a good job of making you accept him and like him, even though he wasn’t a good fit for the role.
* The Princess Yue part was done well enough. I liked that.
The things I didn’t like:
* Where was the humor? Aang was too serious. Where’s his playfulness? All this playfulness balanced the seriousness of the situation in the series. The movie missed this.
* OK I agree that Aang and Iroh were not pronounced correctly in the animation. Why did you try to force the “correct” pronunciation now? That makes it really confusing for everyone that doesn’t know how these names are pronounced. A good director wouldn’t have forced the change on that.
* I feel that the director wanted to get his South East Asian Indian brothers in some film. I felt this also was pushed on us. Zuko is East Asian, man. So was the entire fire nation. None of these folks “fit”…not even Zuko.
* Monk Gyotsu was black?! Come on…
* They changed how things developed – i.e. how they found Aang wasn’t done correctly. How Commander Zhao was killed – not correct. Aang never became the water beast controlling the water (which subsequently killed Zhao). Not in movie.
* They referenced Katara and Sokka’s mom were taken by the fire nation. What happened to her being killed? It’s not like the whole movie would have to be re-arranged to tell that. Don’t change the story!
* The fire nation ransacked the library? What were they thinking…Ugh. A whole storyline slashed to pieces.
There were more things I didn’t like about this movie than I did like. I can see how everyone hated it – especially the fans. However, the things I did like made it enough so that I was happy to go see the movie. That being said, can we scrap that movie and start all over again, with a new director, producer, and only keep a few of these actors? Movie producers really need to stop making movies that alienate fans. My family won’t want to see the second and third movies (even if they get far enough to make them). We’ll go back to our animated show. Thanks anyway.
Posted in: Movies, Reviews
1. Hope Said,
How could you M. Night? You ruined my favorite t.v. show! This was supposed to be an ASIAN i repeat ASIAN movie! This movie could have been way better with another director. I didnt understand how come there was so many INDIAN actors they were supposed to be ASIAN! Why didnt Aang have a BLUE arrow? The water tribe was WHITE they were supposed to be eskimos or darker skinned ASIANS! Sokka wasnt even funny he was stiff and boring the whole movie. Anyways why did Aang steal Katara’s speech in one of the Earth Kingdoms villages? Sokka and Katara’s grandma was supposed to be called Gran-Gran! Zukos burn c’mon it was supposed to be all red and show all over one side of his face! i’m not trying to be racist but on Dev Patel is too dark and the burn wasnt even noticable! What was with the dancing and then the bending? Azula is supposed to be pretty and evil but this girl was just plain scary? Aang didnt even turn into the giant water Koi fish, he just made a giant wave and didnt destroy anything. (weakest avatar ever) Paku, Aangs master acted like the leader of the tribe and anyways, and why didnt they show the fight between Katara and Paku?! Yue’s father didnt die. Plus Yue’s body didnt turn into a spirit! Aang was supposed to be a happy kid, but he was stiff and serious. Really, why was Monk Gyotsu black, hes Asian?! What was with the pronounciation of the names, Awng is supposed to be Aang and Suucka is Sokka and Erohh is Iroh! Jeez M. Night you wrote the script and you cant even say their names right! Iroh wasn’t even a chubby, playful,wise, old chinese man, even his wisdom didnt make any sense it was just a bunch of mumbo jumbo! Aang didnt even go into the Avatar state! Roku wasnt even in the movie, it was his dragon! They didnt have Koh the face stealer! Zhao burned the fish, he didnt make sushi! Appa and Momo, dont even get me started. Appa was a giant, flying, dirty, shaggy, rodent! Momo was a flying rat thing! Jet and his freedom fighters weren’t in the movie and Suki and her Kyoshi warriors! M. Night deleted too many IMPORTANT scenes and added too many UNEEDED scenes! I have to say this was the WORST movie he ever made! M. Night, it would a waste of money and time if you made sequels! M. Night, did this ever occur to you that there are way better karate people that can act and are ASIAN!!! You just picked these random people and tried to make a movie, but you failed miserably! im sorry, but i dont think that you are just cut out to make movies. You just had a casting call in Philly and you didnt even make an attempt to find people that could have made your movie a lot better. I believe that you made this movie really quick so that you could make a lot of money off of Avatar the Last Airbender fans and movie lovers! You know what you also did, you ruined these young actors careers! M. NIght, go find a real job, or make these Avatar movies AMAZING! Get real ASIANS to play the parts and stick to the storyline! Everyone whos reading reviews, dont go wasting your money on a horrible movie, just stay home and watch the animated version, its a million times better!
Posted in: Administrative
1. Harry Said,
Please don’t watch this movie,The Last Airbender, if you and your kids are a big fan of the cartoon you will be disappointed. I wasted an hour and a half of my life that I can never get back!
What happened to the humor and the action in this movie? I was hoping the end of the movie would draw me back in, nope, a huge disappointment! The end sucked!!! If M.Night directs number 2 of The Last Airbender it be another disapointing movie! The characters were all wrong for this movie, not one of the characters were even close to cartoon. Not once did Soka (Sucko) make me or my kids laugh, Uncle Iro wasn’t even fat or funny!!! M. Night please send me my money back if you read this!! Please don’t make any more movies and get real job cause you cannot direct.